Tuesday, September 30, 2008

International Business Etiquette: Is it Brits, British or European?

The other week a daughter and father asked me to set it straight on the correct terminology when referring to Great Britain, the United Kingdom and Europe. So here goes ...

The term Great Britain refers to the island consisting of England, Scotland and Wales. When Northern Ireland is added to Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) it is referred to as the United Kingdom. The term Europe refers to the continent consisting of several countries.

The British are people from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Stay away from the terms “Brits” or “English” as the British do not consider themselves European.

Scotsmen or Scots are citizens of Scotland. “Scotch” is an alcoholic drink. “Scottish” refers to the language or the terrier dog or the tartan you wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment